Welcome, my name is Regula Ysewijn.
Regula = Latin for law, rule or ruler (see Regula Benedicti) and also the female form for Regulus which means King.
Origins: 3rd century Roman Switserland. The only country where Regula is a name.
Ysewijn = Old East-Flemish – Germanic îsan-win ‘ijzer-vriend’ which means ‘iron friend’.
I am a freelance food writer, award-winning book author, photographer and food judge.
I’ve been a judge for The Guild of Fine Food’s Great Taste Awards for six years, The Great British Cheese Awards and World Cheese Awards. In Belgium I am also one of the two judges on the our version of the Great British Bake Off (Bake Off Vlaanderen).
I have written two books. My debut book ‘Pride and Pudding – The history of British Puddings Savoury and Sweet‘ (Murdoch/Davidsfonds-WPG) tells the history of the British pudding, from ancient times until present day, savoury and sweet. No modern recipes appear in this book, I give the stage to the old and often forgotten flavours after meticulous research into each dish that took over 2 years. You can read more about it here >
In 2017 Pride and Pudding was shortlisted for the prestigious Andre Simon Memorial Award, Fortnum & Mason Award and it was also a winner in the Gourmand World Book Awards ‘Culinary Heritage’ category in 2017.
My second book is ‘Belgian Café Culture – A Portrait of the iconic café’ (Luster) – won the Gourmand world book award in the ‘Culinary History’ category in 2018. It is an ode to my Belgian roots being a trained beer sommelier, and a culture that is fading. Our café and beer culture is closely woven together. In my book I tell you the story of our café culture and the history. All documented with my own photographs for which I travelled around the country for a year. More about it here >
I grew up in Flanders – the Dutch speaking part of Belgium. I graduated art school as a graphic designer, did my specialist year in ancient printing techniques and two specialist years in fashion. Two years ago I graduated as a beer sommelier (I am Belgian after all) – and I also have a chef degree for which I have attended culinary school in Antwerp in the evenings for 6 years.
I am a collector of culinary history. I have a large amount of vintage and antique cookery books, baking and jelly moulds and other quirky kitchen antiques. I just love to hold that old and tatty book, knowing it has been used, centuries ago. I find it quite extraordinary that I can hold a book from the 1700’s – it is humbling to read the words of these authors of times gone by, and emotional when you find little notes tucked into them.
Contact me at regula(at)missfoodwise(dot)com
References of my work
My work has been featured by and I have made guest appearances for BBC One, BBC Breakfast, BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour and The Food Programme, the Guardian, the Telegraph, the Independent, Jamie magazine, delicious magazine, BBC History, and more. I am also a Great Taste Awards judge and a member of The Guild of Food Writers. For television I judge ‘Bake Off Flanders’.
I don’t only offer photography and writing, my graphic design and branding skills can help your business define its voice in a heavily crowded market.
Books I wrote, designed and photographed:
- Pride and Pudding (Murdoch Books 2016, Carrera Culinair)
- Belgian Café Culture (Luster Books 2016)
- The National Trust Book Of Puddings (Pavillion 2019)
- Brits Bakboek (Book of British BAking) (Carrera Culinair 2019)
Books I photographed:
- Rodenbach Rosso cocktail book – published by Palm breweries (NL-BE)
- The Taste of Belgium – Ruth van Waerenbeek – published by Grub Street (UK)
- Magic Soup – Nicole Pisani & Kate Adams – published by Orion (UK)
- Hemelse Soepen – published by Luster (NL-BE)
- Deliciously Glutenfree – published by Grub Street (UK)
- The book of Latin American Cooking – Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz – published by Grub Street (UK)
- Cooking like Mummyji – Vicky Boghal – published by Grub Street (UK)
- The Legendary Cuisine of Persia – Margaret Shaida – published by Grub Street (2017) (UK)
- Salt Butter Bones – Nicole Pisani & Kate Adams – published by Orion (2017) (UK)